This year I plan to do a themed class roughly every four weeks. That may be too frequent: we'll see how it goes.
Where a regular class follows a standard format, allowing for repetition and reinforcement of foundational skills, with a couple of blocks where the instructor goes into a bit more depth, a themed class goes more in depth more most of the class.
The approach I'm taking this year is a bit different from theme of the month, which I ran in 2009, in which the discretionary blocks for a whole month were on a unified theme, which also seeped into the rest of the class.
Here's a list off the top of my head:
- Leg throws
- Hip throws
- Hand throws
- Hidari class (everything left-handed)
- Throwing with movement
- Combination throws
- Counter throws
Restraint and Control
- Reflexive self-defence
- R&C throws
- Standard escapes
- Groundwork randori skills
- Arm locks and leg locks
- Combination locks: such a good title!
- Sacrifice throws
- Stick defences -- hmm: will need sticks
- Nage no Kata (kata of throws)
- Katame no Kata (groundwork)
- Gonosen no Kata (counters)
Requests and reactions welcome.