I think that this is a great idea, and for my jiu-jitsu and classical judo classes I plan to trial an explicit "theme of the month" starting in February, when I re-start my class after the summer recess.
Here are some ideas for candidate monthly themes:
- Juicy kuzushi
- Beautiful breakfalls
- Push and pull
- Minimum effort, maximum effect
- Divine alignment
- Whole-body power
- Sense and sensitivity
- Do try this at home!
- Come along, come along
- Wriggle like a piggle; squirm like a worm
- Groundhog month -- rejected: instead we occasionally have Groundhog day
- Combine and conquer
- Striking thoughts
- Distraction is a good thing
- Get smarter through kata
- Creative kata
- Mind and body
- Jiu-jitsu geometry: Circles, spirals and spheres
- Jiu-jitsu comes from the sword
- Ju, jitsu and do
- The higher goals of judo
Ok, at one a month those should keep me going for about two years! So I'll try to rationalize, combine and prioritize. And report back on what I do choose each month.
As always: Comments, suggestions and requests are welcome.