Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Welcome to Martial Arts and Modern Life

Hello, and welcome to my blog about martial arts and life.

I intend to write a lot about the martial arts, not in isolation, but primarily how lessons learned in the training hall can be applied to other aspects of life, including:
  • Getting along with others (at school or work, as part of a family, and raising a family)
  • Ways to learn and ways to teach
  • Transferability of skills from one area to another
  • Drawing on cultural traditions other than one's own
  • Creativity and Imagination
Plus anything else that seems a) interesting, and b) at least tangentially related to the martial arts.

Disclaimer
I will not be attempting to teach martial arts online, because it is dangerous without proper instruction. I will accept no liability for any harm sustained (or inflicted) by anyone after reading my blog.

On the other hand ...
If you want to learn martial arts find a good class. If you live in Melbourne, Australia I may be able to make some recommendations.

Even better, come along to my class!

My Martial Arts Cred
I started learning Japanese Jiu-Jitsu and Classical Judo in 1993, and have been training consistently in these martial arts ever since. I started teaching my own class in 2005, and had been acting as an assistant instructor for several years before that. I hold a 4th degree black belt in classical Judo and a 3rd degree black-belt in Jiu-Jitsu.

I have taught Jiu-Jitsu and Classical Judo to many young adults, teenagers, and older adults, some of whom had previously trained in other martial arts, including: Aikido, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Judo, various Karate styles, and Taekwondo.

In addition to my continuing study of Jiu-Jitsu and Classical Judo, since 2002 I have also been studying Hung Kuen Chinese Boxing (a form of Kung Fu), and hold the rank of 1st Degree Master (1st dan equivalent).

Although these are nowadays primarily empty-hand arts, I have also studied elements of various weapons as part of these styles, plus additional 

 I am interested in other martial arts and have dabbled -- i.e. taken a few classes or attended seminars -- in Aikido, Aiki-jiu-jitsu, Capoeira, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, Judo-do, Ken-jitsu (traditional Japanese sword), Karate, knife-fighting, Krav Maga, Olympic Judo, Sambo, stick-fighting, Chen style and Yang style Taijiquan (Tai Chi).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good start Dan! I look forward to your blog. By the way, your blog reminded me of this Bruce Lee's quote:

Truth has no path. Truth is living and, therefore, changing. Awareness is without choice, without demand, without anxiety; in that state of mind, there is perception. To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person. Awareness has no frontier; it is giving of your whole being, without exclusion.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,
You've really put a lot into this blog.
After I finish, I'm going to watch that James Cagney video clip!
You can also expect a reference in the next issue of K.
-Steve Cochrane

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan

I have had a class with you previously and was looking into starting on a somewwhat regular basis this year. Could you please provide the dates, times of when classes will begin at Caulfield for 2008?

Thanks and regards

Milan Blagojevic
m.blagojevic@ioof.com.au

PS. I like the blog.